Our client, a large construction conglomerate with a $1B valuation, encompasses multiple companies specializing in construction technology, equipment, and
services. Over the years, the company has grown through the acquisition and sale of companies within its portfolio. It has over 1,200 employees globally.
Companies were frequently being acquired and divested, making it crucial to have up-to-date and accurate documentation for seamless handovers to new IT teams. However, managing documentation for both information technology and operational technology in a constantly changing environment was becoming increasingly challenging. Thus, a strategy was necessary to manage and maintain documentation, including:
- IT infrastructure, servers, and systems
- Network equipment, configuration, and security services
- Software, and Cloud services
- Backup systems
- Procedures, processes, workflows
The company partnered with KTI to implement a documentation management and runbook solution that leverages modern technologies and integrations to drive and maintain documentation. The solution accomplished the following and was capable of exporting clear and concise, formatted runbooks:
- Integrated with IT asset management systems to maintain device list requiring data.
- Provided network mapping and discovery, to identify equipment, configurations, and network topology.
- Integrated with Azure and MS365 to document credentials and configurations.
- Integrated with the backup solution to capture all environment settings, restore and testing workflows.
- Workflows, procedures and processes were entered, with links to jump to relevant data to expedite following and completing tasks.
KTI collaborated with the company’s IT team with a focus on maintaining highly accurate documentation and runbooks. KTI played an active role in change management, ensuring that configurations, data, and procedures were always accurately captured and of high quality, thereby saving the internal team a great deal of time.As the IT team onboarded and offboarded companies in the group, the system automatically detected new assets and generated tasks that required human input, promoting consistency and quality.The system was not only utilized as an effective measure to secure corporate systems during staff changes, but became the gold standard for referencing configurations and credentials the entire department.
The result was highly efficient and effective runbooks that addressed corporate risk and simplified the handover process to new IT providers. KTI was also able to provide additional support, as a backup IT team, when needed.